Pompeo Promises Self-Defense in Iraq After Attacks
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has promised to act in self-defense after the United States was hit with attacks from Iran backed militants in Iraq.
According to The Hill:
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told the Iraqi prime minister that the U.S. is prepared to act in self-defense if attacked in Iraq, according to a readout of a call between the two officials released on Monday.
Pompeo spoke with Iraq’s Prime Minister Adil Abd al-Mahdi on Sunday and called on the Iraqi government to fulfill its obligations protecting coalition troops working in the country to defeat ISIS and identify and hold accountable the groups responsible for a rocket attack last week that injured three U.S. troops.
Discussed the deadly attacks on #Iraq’s Camp Taji military base with Prime Minister @AdilAbdAlMahdi . These actions will not be tolerated and the groups responsible must be held accountable by the Government of Iraq.
— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) March 16, 2020
Sunday’s call came after U.S. and Iraqi service members were wounded in a Katyusha rocket attack on Camp Taji base, north of Baghdad, which hosts coalition forces engaged in the fight against ISIS.
Three U.S. service members were wounded, the Department of Defense said on Sunday, adding that two of them were seriously injured and were being treated at a U.S. military hospital in Baghdad.
President Trump is doing a great job. Make sure he gets the rest he needs!
THANK YOU MR.POMPEO;OUR TROOPS NEED TO BE PROTECTED AT ALL TIMES.REGARDLESS.