US Department of Defense
President Trump is looking to expand the travel ban against Central American countries to defeat the incoming caravan. The Washington Examiner reports:
The Trump administration is considering a travel-ban executive order to block asylum seekers at the southern border as a caravan of thousands of Central American migrants make their way to through Mexico to the U.S.
Source familiar with the discussions told the San Francisco Chronicle Thursday that the proposal is not yet finalized and may not be implemented.
The possible executive action would use the same legal authority that Trump used last year when he imposed a national security-based ban against people traveling to the U.S. from Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen.
“The administration is considering a wide range of administrative, legal and legislative options to address the Democrat-created crisis of mass illegal immigration,” a White House official said, according to the Chronicle. “No decisions have been made at this time. Nor will we forecast to smugglers or caravans what precise strategies will or will not be deployed.”
The travel ban would be a start, but Trump could also look into military support for Central American governments to prevent the caravan from leaving the region in the first place.