PROTECTING AMERICAN COMPETITIVENESS: President Donald J. Trump is taking action to address Chinese policies and practices that are harming American innovation.
- The President has directed his Administration to consider a range of actions to respond to China’s acts, policies, and practices involving the unfair and harmful acquisition of U.S. technology.
- President Trump’s Administration will propose for public comment adding 25 percent additional tariffs on certain products that are supported by China’s unfair industrial policy.
- Sectors subject to the proposed tariffs will include aerospace, information communication technology, and machinery.
- USTR will confront China’s discriminatory technology licensing practices through a World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute proceeding.
- The Department of Treasury, in consultation with other agencies, will propose restrictions on investment by China in sensitive U.S. technology.
A THREAT TO AMERICAN INNOVATION: President Donald J. Trump based his actions in large part on the findings of the Section 301 investigation conducted by his Administration.
- In August, President Trump’s Administration launched an investigation into Chinese acts, policies, and practices related to technology transfer, intellectual property, and innovation.
- The U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) led the investigation under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974, which gives the USTR broad authority subject to Presidential direction to eliminate unfair trade practices or policies that burden U.S. commerce.
- This was the first Section 301 investigation since 2013. USTR led an extensive investigation based on a thorough analysis of evidence and comments received from academics, think tanks, law firms, trade associations, and American companies and workers.
- The investigation concluded that China uses foreign ownership restrictions, such as joint venture requirements and administrative review and licensing processes to force or pressure U.S. companies to transfer technology to Chinese entities.
- China requires foreign companies that access their New Energy Vehicles market to transfer core technologies to a joint venture and disclose development and manufacturing technology for the entire vehicle.
- The investigation concluded that China forces U.S. companies seeking to license technologies to Chinese entities to do so on non-market based terms.
- China imposes contractual restrictions on the licensing of intellectual property and foreign technology into their country, but does not put the same restrictions on contracts between two Chinese enterprises.
- The investigation concluded that China directs and unfairly facilitates investments and acquisitions to generate large-scale technology transfer from U.S. companies to Chinese entities.
- A Chinese government-backed fund helped Apex Technology Co., a Chinese investment consortium, acquire a U.S. computer-printer maker which had previously sued Apex over patent infringement.
- The investigation concluded that China conducts and supports cyber intrusions into U.S. companies to access their sensitive commercial information, such as trade secrets.
- In 2014, the U.S. charged five Chinese military hackers for cyber espionage committed against U.S. corporations and a labor organization for commercial advantage.
- An interagency analysis estimates that China’s unfair acts, policies, and practices cause tens of billions in damages to the United States each year.
CONFRONTING UNFAIR TRADE: President Trump has made clear that his Administration will confront unfair trade practices that harm American commerce.
- Since taking office, President Trump has sought to confront unfair trade practices that have harmed American commerce for far too long.
- The President’s Administration conducted 82 antidumping and countervailing duty investigations in 2017.
- This was a 58 percent increase in investigations over 2016.
- In January, the President announced new safeguard tariffs on imported large residential washing machines and solar cells.
- The President’s decision to implement the tariffs was based on recommendations by the bi-partisan, independent International Trade Commission.
- President Trump’s Administration has successfully litigated WTO disputes targeting unfair trade practices and upholding our right to enact fair trade laws.
- In February 2018, USTR won a WTO compliance challenge against China’s unfair antidumping and countervailing duties on U.S. poultry exports, and China announced the termination of those duties.
- In November 2017, the United States won a WTO dispute regarding Indonesia’s unfair import licensing regime restricting U.S. agricultural exports.
- In October 2017, a WTO compliance panel found that U.S. tuna labeling rules designed to inform consumers about safe fishing practices were consistent with WTO standards.
- In September 2017, the WTO rejected allegations by the European Union that Boeing was receiving prohibited subsidies.
- In June 2017, a WTO compliance panel rejected almost all claims by the European Union that alleged U.S. subsidies to Boeing were causing serious prejudice to Airbus, instead finding that 28 of 29 challenged programs were consistent with WTO rules.
He is a moron who will bankrupt this country.
Mr. Trump is right. We should not be inventing things for China. Let them invent their own stuff.
Countries that respect us, would not do this to us. It should have been done a decade ago.
I would suggest we strike a strategic partnership with Russia. Yes, with Mr. Putin, to tackle international problems. And build our strength domestically, just in case.
That will be something that will be great for Americans in the grand scheme of things! Now if we can just keep them from stealing our secrets!
president keep up the good work the american people can make america great again.
What does it cost to make a car in china and what would it sell for in china?
Shipping and tax should be the only thing added for china to sell that car in America.
I guess it takes a businessman, and not a politician, to get long overdue things done. You go, Mr. President!
Thank you, President Trump, for protecting America. The actions you are taking are correct, and I support you 100%.
Please keep an eye on American small businesses who assemble products which include some parts purchased from China. These businesses may be hurt. There must be a practical solution to their needs.
It’s about time someone in the White House has the guts and courage to stand for America, its people and its economic engine. I wholehearted support President Trump for his America First Policy. Previous U.S. Presidents are all cowards in protecting our domestic and foreign policies.
Trump’s tariffs are Harmful and COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. America will be less competitive, jobs will be lost and everybody will be poorers. Here’s why. The consumer loses because tariffs will drive up prices, remove some goods altogether resulting in fewer choices. American manufacturers, their stockholders and workers will get clobbered. Our car industry, airplane manufacturers like Boeing, and other producers which use steel, aluminum , lumber and any other input hit by Trump’s tariffs will be forced to pay more to produce their finished products. This means they will have to charge more, be less competitive, and will sell less. Worse, other countries hurt by Trump’s tariffs will retaliate and impose tariffs on American exports. In summary both the American and foreign importer, consumer, manufacturer and exporter all lose. Tariffs have been tried before. In addition to hard feelings, they result in trade wars and a drastic drop off of world commerce and we all end up poorer. Trump out of his own ignorance and contrary to the opinion of his own economic advisers, has decided to take this harmful step. In so doing he has unsettled markets across the world.
Its about time we had someone in office that actually knows what he is doing. Go get ’em Pres. Trump. I am totally on your side.
I know that you are out smarting the liberals even people on your side wonder what you are doing but I believe that you do love America and have the country s best interest at heart just hope that you can keep things going in the same direction you are up against so much hate and evil we are praying for you and your family .
YES, President Trump needs our Prayers and Love to get going. He is fighting fiercely against the Deep State but also the entire world to defend our rights. He loves his country but he loves also all Americans. He uses his incredible talent of a builder, negotiator and processed mind to bring Peace, strength, and reestablish the moral values of the great Americans who made America a great country. He was sent by God to save all of us from destruction.
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is nothing but a communist Organization and should be defunded for Americas good.
China has been doing this stuff for years and they also require that US companies leave the equipment there if they decide to cease doing business. This repressive and we need to combat this to preserve our business.
It is about time we have someone to stand up for American innovation, creativity, and property rights, which China tries every possible way to steal. “America First” means something to President Trump and all American patriots!
HE NEEDS TO ADD MORE THAN THAT, YOU CANT BUY ANYTHING MADE IN THE USA IN THE WAYS OF CLOTHS, SHOES, CAPS, TOOLS ETC. ALL THE FACTORIES HAS CLOSED AND MOVED OVERSEAS.
President Trump is doing everything he can within the constraints of this most corrupt Congress is American history. It’s up to we the people to throw them ALL out and give our President a congress that will work WITH him and FOR us. Action speaks louder than words.
President Trump, we know you have the world on your shoulders, but don’t give up. You are doing an unbelievable job that can only be a blessing from God for America, as we always pray “God bless America”. You have been working so hard, perhaps you need a vacation for some rest with family.
President Trump. God has done great things and he has given you the ability also to change the way the goverment has been going wrong for a long time . Thank both God and you. God Bless America.
The media needs to give equal coverage to why the tariffs along with the coverage of why the tariffs will harm the U.S. It seems news organizations are more interested in status quo and creating an uproar of opposition to what are effective and proper policies.
The above tariffs are greatly needed for our workers, glad you signed the bill. Now we need to get the wall built, veto the proposed budget that the swamp made up to damage your agenda and create havoc, send it back for the swamp to redo the budget and get the things we need for our Country, wall, military, defense, immigration, infrastructure, all the things you campaigned for.
We support you and if we have to shutdown the Government we have your back. God Bless
And this is only the tip of the iceberg as far as China goes. They have been stealing out defense secretes for years and not being stopped for doing it. They have been using our technology to build their military and everything the make and sell back to us here in The United Stagtes. This has diminished our job participation, closing 70,000 factories here and putting millions of Americans out of work.
Long, long overdue! Thank you and God bless you, President Trump.
Go Go President Trump
We have enriched this Country by buying their junk!
give them hell !
very good, keep up the great work just as you said you would
Keep up the great job you are doing.
Full speed ahead Mr Trump. Don’t let the liberals get you down
No food stamps for illegals
No Medicaid for illegals
Lets support Americans who have paid into the system
Well I don’t care about China I see that Trump getting tuck in the A.
He is going down like Bush No new taxes Bosh lost Trump has lost the 2020 election.
Rep have no back bone.
I’m really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..
Utterly pent subject matter, appreciate it for entropy.